CALIFORNIA DEBT SETTLEMENT PROVIDER LAWYER
Alan Abergel is an attorney licensed by both the State Bar of Texas and the State Bar of California.
THE LAW OFFICES OF ALAN ABERGEL, P.C. (“LOAA“) also provides TEXAS DEBT MANAGEMENT AND SETTLEMENT PROVIDERS services.
“The California Consumer Financial Protection Law took effect January 1, 2021. Under the new law, the Department of Financial Protection and Innovation has expanded authority to regulate financial products and services that were previously unregulated.
- Credit repair and consumer credit agencies
- Debt relief providers
- Rent to own contractors
- Debt collectors
- Private, for-profit school funding
Many previously unregulated financial products and services will be required to register with the Department under the new law.”
On Oct 04, 2021, California Governor Newsom signed AB 1405 by Assemblymember Buffy Wicks (D-Oakland), which protects Californians from predatory debt settlement practices, ensuring providers disclose important information about the process to consumers. Under the legislation, customers who enroll in a debt settlement plan will have a three-day window to review the disclosures before the contract takes effect. AB 1405 enacted the Fair Debt Settlement Practices Act to regulate California “Debt settlement provider(s)” and “Payment processor(s).” Contracts, disclosures, and other compliance requirements must comply with the Fair Debt Settlement Practices Act, in addition to other California and federal legal requirements.
WE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING LEGAL SERVICES TO CALIFORNIA DEBT SETTLEMENT PROVIDERS:
- Drafting of debt settlement service agreements, disclosures, and other required legal documents, in compliance with Fair Debt Settlement Practices Act, and other California and federal legal requirements. We offer a 15-day compliance program for a reasonable flat fee.
- Representation in investigations, administrative procedures, inspections, and audits by DFPI, FTC, and CFPB.
- We do not represent consumers. We only represent California Debt Settlement Providers.