Alan Abergel, Esq. is an attorney licensed by both the State Bar of Texas and the State Bar of California.
We also provide Texas Pawnshop licensing and compliance services
CALIFORNIA PAWNBROKER LICENSE LAWYER
Pawn Shops in California are regulated by the California Department of Justice, which enforces the California Financial Code and regulations requirements for pawnbrokers. Licensing may be obtained through the chief of police, the sheriff, or, where appropriate, the police commission.
Every person engaged in the business of receiving goods, including motor vehicles, in pledge as security for a loan is a pawnbroker within the meaning of the California pawnbrokers law.
Pawnbrokers differ from a secondhand dealers. A secondhand dealer is “any person, whose business includes buying, selling, taking in trade, taking in pawn, taken on consignment, accepting for auction or auctioning secondhand tangible personal property.” A pawnbroker is also a secondhand dealer, but a secondhand dealer is not a pawnbroker. Both pawnbrokers and secondhand dealers require a license, but they are different licenses because they serve two different purposes.
It is unlawful for any person who is not duly licensed as a pawnbroker to act as a pawnbroker or represent himself, herself, or a business entity to be a pawnbroker or a pawn brokerage business entity.
LEGAL SERVICES WE PROVIDE:
- Assistance with obtaining a California Pawnbroker License
- Advice concerning compliance with California Pawnbrokers laws and regulations.
- Representation before the California Department of Justice.
- Advice concerning State and Federal Lending Laws
- Drafting of loan documents and ancillary documents in compliance with the California pawnbrokers law and applicable state and federal lending laws.
- Unsecured & secured lending laws
- Representation before CFPB.
- Representation in administrative hearings and proceedings.
- Representation in investigations by the California Department of Justice or CFPB.
- Zoning and land use entitlements concerning California pawnshops..
- We do not represent or provide legal services to consumers of pawnbrokers. We only represent the pawnbrokers after they retain us.